Wednesday, April 25, 2012

In need of some prayers, please!

I've been putting off writing this blog post for as long as I can.  I mentioned in my post the other day that there were many reasons why I haven't been writing as often as I'd like.  I've been super busy with school, ADPi, and everything else in life, but there's been an added stress for the past month or so.  

I was home for Easter and went out to eat with my mom the next day.  Thanks to Presby, we have an Easter Break!  (just one of the perks of a private school)  So I was eating lunch with my mom before heading back to school and my mom and I were sitting across the table from each other and she asked me what was wrong with my neck.  I had no idea what she was talking about...I mean I had noticed that it looked like I was gaining more weight than normal and it was showing in my neck.  When we touched my neck, it seemed puffy.  The place where it was puffy was my thyroid.  I had been realizing how much weight I was gaining.  From my Spring Break (the first week of March) to Easter, I gained 10 pounds!  I just assumed I was too stressed.  It didn't make sense though because I was actually being cautious of my weight and what I was eating since I'm going to Barbados in May!  I didn't want to admit to anyone how much I weighed or how much weight I'd gained in such a short time.  I also realized I had a lot of symptoms to go with an underactive thyroid and figured this must be why.

My mom called my family doctor that day to get me an appointment set up.  It was all a God thing as to how fast we got me an appointment with the Nurse Practitioner at my doctor's office.  Jennifer, my Nurse Practitioner, graduated from PC so my mom was saying it must have been that Blue Hose bond that made her fit me in her schedule.  My mom had told the nurse trying to find me an appointment all of my symptoms, my age, and how much weight I'd gained and the nurse was on our side!  She went far beyond her duties as a nurse to get me an appointment.  I don't know who she is but I'm very thankful that she got me an appointment!

Thursday, April 12 was my appointment with Jennifer.  I rehashed my symptoms to the nurse and the first thing Jennifer did was feel my neck/thyroid.  She immediately knew my thyroid was enlarged and ordered me to get 6 or so blood tests.  She also decided I should get an ultrasound on my thyroid.  We got the blood test results back the next day and everything seemed normal.  I was really confused as to how my blood tests could be normal but there wasn't anything I could do about that.  Then, I went to get my ultrasound on Monday, April 16.  I was super nervous because well it was just weird.  I wasn't promoting the fact that I was getting an ultrasound because that makes me sound like a teen mom, even though I'm not a teen.  I made sure I emphasized ultrasound on my THYROID!  During the ultrasound, the lady didn't say anything while she was doing it.  Jamie went with me though and watched.  She could only tell that she was measuring things.  It made me more nervous that she wasn't saying anything at all.  I would have rather her keep me updated while she was doing her thing.

Wednesday, April 18 we finally got the results from the ultrasound.  As soon as Jennifer saw the results, she referred me to get a nuclear thyroid scan.  The soonest they could schedule that was for tomorrow and Friday.  This scan is done over two days in three appointments.  I have an appointment Thursday at 10:00 for the injection, 4:00 for the first part of the scan, and then again on Friday morning at 10:00 for the second part of the scan.  Jennifer said the ultrasound showed that my thyroid is enlarged but only on the right side which leads her to believe its a growth.  The nuclear scan will reveal the size and placement of my thyroid and any growth present.  Also, they'll be looking for cold spots...cancer.  So tomorrow (technically today) is the big day.  I'm just ready for some answers.  I'm asking for your prayers.  Prayers for peace because I'm freaking out.  Anytime a doctor says the C-word, I think its bound to happen.  No doctor has every said cancer as a possibility so I'm beyond nervous.  I'm asking for prayers for the doctors and everyone involved that they can find what's wrong with me.  I believe in the power of prayer and if you don't pray, just keep me in your thoughts!  

This is the selfish part of me talking but its so hard to deal with this added stress right now.  This has been on my mind all month and has been distracting me from pretty much everything!  I don't know what is going on or what's going to happen.  I have a full summer planned and I don't really want anyone to mess with those plans, again I know that's totally selfish of me.  I know God will take care of me because He always does.  I think that's pretty much it.  I'll keep you updated of course!  Say a prayer.  God is good, all the time!

1 comment:

  1. The nuclear scan is not commonly used now unless patient is HYPER thyroid.
    FNA will be better alternative.
    Best

    ReplyDelete