Thursday, November 28, 2013

Extra Thankful this Thanksgiving

In case you don't already know, I luckily had the opportunity to come home for Thanksgiving this year.  Since March, I've been preparing myself to spend Thanksgiving working in Orlando some 500 miles away from those I love with tens of thousands of strangers.  That was the plan and unless a miracle happened, that's what would be happening this Thanksgiving.  Just a couple weeks ago I texted my sister/partner-in-crime to ask if I should come home and surprise Mama and Daddy for Thanksgiving.  Of course there was a big "if" standing in my way...it would only work out IF my schedule allowed.  I got my schedule two weeks ago and had the usual Monday and Wednesday off.  I updated Sarah on my schedule and started prowling for someone to give my shifts to.  I knew I would need to give away Tuesday and Thursday to make it worth it, even if it meant driving on Thanksgiving.  First I gave away Thursday then Tuesday and I even found someone to give Friday to!  It was so hard keeping this secret from my parents since we talk almost every day.  Every talk I'd have with my mom, she would be in tears asking if the Mouseketeeria would be serving me a Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving.  And after my mom put up the Christmas tree without me (first time that's ever happened), she was in more tears about how I wouldn't get to see it until January when I come home.  Little did she know she would be the one serving me a Thanksgiving dinner and I'd be seeing the Christmas tree soon!!  

I drove home Monday without much traffic, if only I'd be that lucky when I drive back, eeek!  I wanted to walk in to my parents getting ready for dinner but it had been a crazy day for my mom so she was out running errands.  I was at Target wasting time until she got home...and then she decided to come to Target!  Luckily Sarah was on the phone with her when she pulled in the parking lot and I had to make my way out of the store without seeing her!!!  I sat in my car waiting for her to leave the store so I could follow her home and surprise her!  (That's the creepiest I've ever felt hahaha!)  While I thought about surprising my mom IN Target, I figured too many tears would be involved to be in a public setting.  So finally I made my way home.  I had an elaborate plan but figured walking in the door would shock them just as much!  I pulled in the driveway with my lights off so I couldn't blow my cover at the last minute, opened the garage, ran up the steps and tried opening the door.  My key was struggling and wouldn't open the door but my mom heard something and saw the light on in the garage.  She asked my dad, "Glenn, did I forget to close the garage?"  As she opened the blinds, guess who she saw?!  MEEEEEE!!!!! She instantly screamed, "What are you doing here?!" Cue the tears!  My dad was still trying to figure out what was going on, I think, but made his way to the door!  We all cried and cried!!  I've never wanted to be home hugging my Mama and Daddy so much.  Of course one of the first questions was, "So how long are you staying?"  My original answer was to leave on Friday but asked my mom if she'd like me to see if I could give my Saturday shift away, so I did!!  I lucked out with a 6-day mini vacation that I couldn't be more thankful for!  Most of my friends at Disney didn't get this opportunity nor do they live close enough to just drive home, so I can't be feeling anymore thankful!

Even though I had been telling myself since March that working on Thanksgiving instead of being with my family would be okay, I knew it would be very difficult!  Thankfully, my family will be at Disney with me for Christmas so we don't have to worry about anymore holidays apart!  As it got closer to Thanksgiving, I realized just how badly I needed to go home this Thanksgiving if it was at all possible.  I guess you could say Thanksgiving's aren't always the happiest in the Fogle house.  My mom's worst car accident happened the Tuesday before Thanksgiving when I was in elementary school, I lost my best friend the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 7th grade, and then there was the Thanksgiving Break-up of 2009, a couple Thanksgiving's with Nana's progressing Alzheimer's, last year's ankle surgery was days before Thanksgiving, and all those memories were topped off with my sweet Nana going to heaven last year.  So while my family is such a thankful family, you could say we've had some painful and difficult holidays.  However, when we all get together, we couldn't be more thankful for our time together!  This year was no exception and I honestly can't think of a time where I've felt more thankful.

Going into my adventure at Disney, I knew big lessons would be learned.  One of the biggest I've learned so far has to be thankfulness.  While its very hard to be thankful daily in my job, getting this opportunity to come home and reflect reminds me just how thankful I am for everything in my life!  I am so very thankful for my family!  They are the core of who I am and without them, I'd be nowhere!  Im' thankful for my sweet friends spread out across the whole country!!  Knowing that no matter where I am, I have people who love and support me makes life so much more enjoyable!  I'm so thankful to have a job, even if it wasn't what I would have chosen for myself.  I'm thankful for the adventure I'm still living out in Disney World, and thankful I still have about a month left to ride out this dream of mine!  Who knew dreams could come true?  If nothing else, I'll never stop dreaming and following my dreams!  I'm thankful for so so much in my life right now and I know I wouldn't be who I am without the love from the Lord above!!  He is far too good to me and I can't complain!  The best feeling of all is when I fall asleep at night thanking God for all He has blessed me with and the list just goes on and on and on!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  This Thanksgiving has reached a whole new meaning of thankfulness!

No comments:

Post a Comment