Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day 2 of Thankfulness

So I'm two days late but for my second day of thankfulness, I'm thankful for precious children!  I think all children are precious and I love getting reminders of what I'm supposed to be doing in life.  No matter what I do in life, it will be revolved around children.  I think children are such a beautiful gift from God and they bring so much joy to the world!

So Friday (the day I was supposed to write this) I got to go to Practicum and spend a couple hours with some pretty cool third graders.  Between Recruitment and not feeling well lately, I hadn't been to Practicum in a while.  As soon as I got to the classroom, the kids were yelling my name and jumping out of their seats to welcome me!  Of course some of my huggers ran up to me first thing to get a hug from Miss Fogle.  I can always count on precious Gurpal to give me a hug first.  He seriously cracks me up and always makes sure he gets a welcome hug as well as a goodbye hug.  After the hugs come the questions.  "How's your foot, Miss Fogle?"  "Is your foot all better?"  "Do you get to stay with us today?"  "You're not leaving yet, are you?!" and "We've missed you, Miss Fogle!"

Usually I don't get to do much during Practicum, but Friday was an exception.  I got to teach a mini lesson to a group of students on subtracting 3 or 4 digit numbers.  I was working with 5 students who were struggling with borrowing from next door.  They had a cute little rhyme to help them out, but they just weren't making the connection.  I think this is the part of teaching most people question me on.  I always get the question of, "...but how can you not give up on kids when they just don't get something?"  I seriously get asked this question all the time when I tell people I want to be a teacher.  I think this is something all teachers struggle with because some students just don't get it, no matter how many times you go over something.  

I sat there with the 5 students and first 2 children understood it, then 1 more, then it was just me and 2 students.  They knew they were still with me because they didn't understand yet.  They wanted so badly to just understand what I was telling them.  I can't say it wasn't frustrating, because it was.  But you know what, they were trying so hard and they finally got it!!!  While it may be frustrating having to teach the same thing over and over to a child who just doesn't get it, its beyond rewarding when they finally look up at you with a big smile because THEY GET IT!!!!!!

It was one of my more frustrating visits to 3rd grade, but in the end it became one of my favorites!  I got a chance to really teach and see the effect of my teaching.  I love the little reminders God puts in my life that I'm doing what I was made to do, be a teacher!  We find out our placement for student teaching this Wednesday and I'm soooooo excited!!!  I can't believe the days of student teaching are quickly approaching, but I'm beyond ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment