Monday, November 12, 2012

I Believe...

Today I'm thankful for Alpha Delta Pi.  

I was initiated on this day 3 years ago and I can't even believe these 3 years have gone by so fast!  So much has happened and I've gotten so many sisters in that short period of time that I already feel like its been a lifetime of sisterhood.  I realize this post might sound a little cheesy to those of you non-Greeks, but ADPi has truly shaped me into the person I am today.  While I already knew what it meant to be a sister before receiving my bid on October 4, 2009, I had no idea what it felt like to have sooooo many sisters (since God only blessed me with one)!  Today, Eta Xi Chapter has 117 beautifully unique women in our chapter and I've already gotten to see nearly 100 other amazing women graduate before me.  Before being an ADPi I only knew what it was like to be the big sister!  I have gotten to learn what its like to have a big sister, a twin, and an entire family of supporters.  I don't think I can even compare my years in ADPi to anything else!

One of the best things I've learned from ADPi is how to be a leader.  Being a leader has always been one of my favorite things in life.  I'm not saying I've always been an amazing leader but I love to learn about how to be a better leader!  I like to think I succeed when I get to be in charge and tell people what to do, its just my thing.  I'm sure not everyone who's had to take my orders would say the same thing but I just like authority.  I was Spirit Chair then Executive Vice President and now President of Eta Xi and what a rollercoaster it has been!  I'm still learning every day how to be a better leader.  My favorite line from our creed that I hold on to every day is this,

...always remembering that leadership requires confidence tempered with humility and courage blended with tolerance.

I can't tell you how much I've been learning to implement this into my life as a leader.  I will continue to live my life with this quote in mind because its just so good!!!!  And I'm sure in my days as a principal in the distant future will require me to revisit this quote even more.  

Just like with a lot of my posts on thankfulness, I'm going to attach some pictures because it just makes my blog more exciting!

Clinton 4th girls on Bid Day before we all knew we'd be going ADPi!
October 2009

My sweet family: Keri, my twin and Elizabeth, my big
October 2009

Besties before our first Semi-Formal
January 2010

Throwdown for your Hometown Crush Party
March 2010

Our first Black Diamond
April 2010

Our first Mallard Ball and the first debut of my monogrammed camo overalls!
September 2010

P3 growing since I got Lauren as my little!
October 2010

Semi-Formal
January 2011

CRABS (Callie, Rachel, Anna, Blythe, and Sarah)
80's Prom Crush Party
March 2011

Love me some Callers!  She's been by my side since our first days of messaging on Facebook to roadtripping to Camden with Sarah!  Now we're sisters and make a pretty dynamic duo as Standards and President!  I don't know what I'd do without her!
Black Diamond
April 2011

The flock!!!!
This was our original crew and big thanks to Elizabeth and Kate for introducing us to so many awesome ADPi's, seriously love them!!
October 2011

Lucia is the definition of a sister!  I don't know where I would be without this girl, but she's got a whole blog post coming just for her!
Semi-Formal
January 2012

You gotta love Exec!  At least I do :)  I don't know how I would have gotten through this year without these girls and I'm so thankful I've gotten to serve next to each of them.
Bows and Beaus Crush Party
March 2012

Again, my little Lucia!  I just love this picture of us so I had to include it, duh!
Black Diamond
April 2012

Oh, just me and my sisters in Barbados!  I had to include a Barbados picture with the lion!!!
May 2012
This is my family at the 90's Mixer.  We've since added two new additions but we're a little slack and haven't taken a real picture yet!  I love them so much and I'm so happy I get to be the greatgrandbig even though it makes me feel ancient!
August 2012


I'm so thankful for these girls right here who have been my besties since the beginning.  I'm so happy we get to be sisters and best friends!  And this is when we were finally reunited after Abby and Taylor were Pi Chi's for what seemed like 12 years!
Bid Day
October 2012

So three years later I'm still ecstatic that I get to be a member of the Eta Xi Chapter of Alpha Delta Pi.  I'm so blessed to get to serve as Chapter President. Some days are harder than others but I know I'm learning about myself through it all.  My favorite part of the job is getting to be a supporter to my sisters.  No matter what that entails, it always keeps me on my toes.  Of course my least favorite part of the job is having the be the bad guy sometimes but its just preparing me for my teacher days!

No comments:

Post a Comment